Guided Literacy: Systematic, Sequential, Structured Small Group Phonics Instruction
Time & Location
About The Event
Guided Literacy: Systematic, Sequential, Structured, Small Group Phonics Instruction
A brand new Hello Literacy PD with science of reading in mind. Want or need to group your students by phonics skill not reading level? Jen Jones will walk you through the structures of small group guided phonics instruction + skill based phonemic awareness.
In this one day PD, teachers will grow their knowledge in the following shifts in literacy instruction through the lens of small group guided phonics based using a structured literacy lesson template she created using the essential structures of small group phonics instruction:
- Phonics terminology to increase teacher knowledge
- Hello Literacy Scope & Phonics Sequence, developed by Jen
- Orientation to the 3-day Guided Literacy lesson cycle
- Administering the Quick Placement Assessment to group students by phonics skill
- Phonological awareness vs. phonemic awareness
- Phonemic Awareness with and without letters
- General phonemic awareness vs. targeted phonemic awareness
- Shifting from sight to sound
- Orthographic mapping as a mental process to Sound-Symbol Mapping as a hands-on process
- Sound Decks for mimicking decoding & encoding review of past skills taught
- Explicit & sequential instruction of new phonics skills from simple to complex*
- Decoding Practice of new phonics skill
- Spelling Dictation (Encoding Practice) of new phonics skill: Sound, Word, HFW, Sentence
- Use of Decodable Books, developed by Jen & 100% aligned to her Scope & Skill Sequence, to practice reading the new phonics skill in connected, controlled text, aligned to the scope & sequence so the book only contains words & phonics patterns previously taught.
- Continued phonics practice through games & activities like Vowel Ladders, Word Chains, Making Words, Word Sorts, Bridges & Circles, Bingo & Connect Four.
*If you currently use The Secret Stories in your classroom, this PD will show you where you can incorporate the teaching and practice of those phonogram letter behaviors & stories BUT this PD does not require that you have them and assumes that most classrooms do not.
There will be two live events, plus 1-month access to the recording. The December 30 & January 29 events are identical, just offered live twice.
$189 Registration includes the PD + the following digital materials valued at over $60:
- Scope & Sequence Overview with skills per group
- Detailed Scope & Sequence with HFWs and skills per book
- Quick Placement Assessment
- All 20 Pink Set Decodable Books (digital pdf, printing & assembly required)
- All 20 completed Guided Literacy Lesson Plans (each book is a 3-day cycle)
- All Resources: Word Lists, Sound Decks, Games, Sound Mats, Activity & Dictation Sheets to teach the lessons.
- Blank Guided Phonics Lesson Template
- 20% discount code to purchase Orange and Yellow Guided Literacy Sets when they are finished.
- PD Certificate of Completion for 10 hours of SoR training
This PD is ideal for teachers with students reading at the K-2 reading levels. Either K-2 students or any student not decoding accurately & automatically.
There are no prerequisites for this course. IF you have been OG or LETRS training (which in not required for this course) this PD will help you apply your OG & LETRS knowledge and you'll learn how to apply it for the best structured literacy lessons in small groups.
"LIT KIT" Material List to bring to the PD:
- chips/cubes/glass pieces
- fidget popper
- popsicle stick
- sticky notes/flair pens
- highlighter pens (a set of 5 colors)*
- mini magnifying glass*
- fun plastic glasses*
- mini can of playdough*
- index cards*
- finger wiggly eyes*
*nice but not necessary
Ways to pay for this conference:
- Pay via Paypal, credit card or debit card at checkout (access credit card and debit card payment option by selecting PayPal button).
- NO purchase orders will be accepted for individual tickets or groups less than 10. Invoices issued only for groups of 10 or more.
This event will be recorded and available for access later. If you attend all, none, or just parts of the live event you will still receive access to the recording and resources via Coassemble.
Feel free to register individually, but if you are registering for multiple people, please fill out each ticket with their name and email address.
The Zoom link and password will be sent out two days before the event along with digital handouts needed and used during the PD.
For any questions, please email email@example.com
Same event offered on January 29th.
- Guided Phonics PD$189$1890$0