HelloLitCon Atlanta, GA
Time & Location
About The Event
Preparing students for the 21st century means preparing students for their future. At a minimum, we must prepare students to be critical thinkers, using academic structures of cooperation, collaboration and communication, so students have the maximum amount of practice, success & failure opportunities to become problem-solvers, strategic and proficient readers and writers and independent and confident students/adults. Throughout these two days, Jen will present a variety of low-prep/high yield instructional strategies that are simple and free to implement, but require a higher level of instructional accountability than most teachers and students are not accustomed to.
An overview of the most important reading standards will be presented, as well as more student-centered ownership of strategies for reading engagement and reading achievement. Learn how to use the most effective strategies for reading comprehension and question/answer relationships for the highest level of student engagement and immediate feedback. Voice and choice and authentic audience are also essential elements of the 21st century classroom, especially when it comes to text and topic selection for reading, writing and research.
Schedule for the Day 1 - Johns Creek Event Center 8:30am-3:30pm
7:45-8:30 - Registration, Coffee, Donuts & Creamer Bar
8:30-10:15 - Session #1: Reading Engagement is Contagious: Build a Positive Reading Culture in Your Classroom/School
10:15-10:45 - Break
10:45-12:00 - Session #2: Rock Your Literacy Block: Best of the Best Low Prep/High Yield Strategies
12:00-1:15 - Lunch* (on your own in town)
1:15-2:15 Session #3: Reading Comprehension Skills & Strategies of 21st Century Thinkers
2:45-4:00 - Session #4: Essential Reading Comprehension Skills & Strategies of 21st Century Thinkers (cont.'d)
Schedule for Day 2 - Johns Creek Event Center 9:00am-3:00pm
8:15-9:00 - Doors Open
9:00-10:30 - Session #1: Strategies for Vocabulary Development
10:30-10:45 - Break
10:45-11:45 - Session #2: Reading Workshop Simulation: Be My Student for a Minilesson, Independent Reading & Reading Conferences, Workshop Debriefing11:45-12:30 - Lunch* (taco bar catered by Moe's Southwest Grill)
12:30-3:00 - Session #3: Be a Guided Reading Guru: Text Selection, Picture Walks, Coaching on the Run, Oral Comprehension
Jen speaks on these topics and more, to schools and districts all over the country. She is highly sought-after and teachers in her workshops have said “this was the best professional development we’ve ever had.”
Conference Fee: $350 Standard Registration / $300 Early Bird Registration ends February 28, 2019
Conference registration includes:
- Coffee, Creamer and Donut Bar (Friday)
- Catered Lunch (both days)
- Cool Hello Literacy Merch
- Conference Materials & free digital files aligned to conference lessons & activities
- Certificate of Completion for 20 CEU hours
Conference Supplies to Bring:
- One vivid fiction picture book...or a few...make sure they have your name on them
- One book from a guided reading set (leave the other 5 books at home)
- The Reading Strategies Book by Jennifer Serravallo (or one Reading Unit of Study if that's what you use)
- Sticky notes, teacher pens, highlighters
- Portable White Board, white board pen & eraser/sock, math counters
- BYOD: iPad, Chromebook or Smart Phone
**Parking: Available at the venue.
Where to Stay
*If you are not local and need accommodations, there are several hotels located just down the road from the Johns Creek Event Center. Both offer complimentary shuttle service to nearby locations, including the venue:
Hilton Garden Inn
11695 Medlock Bridge Rd
Johns Creek, GA, 30097
11505 Medlock Bridge Road
Johns Creek, GA, 30097
Hampton Inn and Suites
6440 E Johns Crossing
Johns Creek, GA, 30097
There are 4 ways to pay for this conference:
- Pay via Paypal, credit card or debit card at checkout (access credit card and debit card payment option by selecting Paypal button).
2. Pay with a school purchase order. If your school is paying for your registration, select "Pay Offline" and follow the directions so Hello Literacy can email you an invoice. We cannot send you an invoice until you have registered. We cannot send you a W-9 until you have registered. If you are not paying for the tickets at the time of registration, then registering holds your spots until your district payment method is received.
3. Pay via a grant through Donors Choose Professional Development. Write the grant and Donors Choose will pay Hello Literacy on your behalf.
4. Pay with a personal check by selecting "Pay Offline" and follow the directions so Hello Literacy can email you an invoice. All school, district or personal checks must be paid within 30 days of registering with an offline payment, unless it's within 30 days of the conference and then it's due before the conference or on the day of the conference.
*If you are purchasing more than 1 ticket in one transaction, please send an email to email@example.com and let her know the names and email addresses for all the teachers you are registering because there is no space to denote that when you purchase the tickets, especially if you, the tickets purchaser, are not attending and all we have is your name and email address. -Thanks!
If you have any questions about payment, purchase orders, or invoices, please ask at firstname.lastname@example.org. NO REFUNDS will be issued within 30 days prior to the event.
If you are interested in having Jen bring HelloLitCon to your school or literacy professional development tailored to your school's needs, please send her at email at email@example.com. Her general PD information packet is HERE.
- Standard Registration$350$3500$0
- Saturday Ticket$200$2000$0