HelloLitCon Detroit, MI Live Stream
Time & Location
About The Event
Preparing students for the 21st century means preparing students for their future. At a minimum, we must prepare students to be critical thinkers, using academic structures of cooperation, collaboration and communication, so students have the maximum amount of practice, success & failure opportunities to become problem-solvers, strategic and proficient readers and writers and independent and confident students/adults. Throughout the day, Jen will present a variety of low-prep/high yield instructional strategies that are simple and free to implement, but require a higher level of instructional accountability than most teachers and students are accustomed to.
An overview of the most important reading standards will be presented, as well as more student-centered ownership of strategies for reading engagement and reading achievement. Use the most effective vocabulary strategies for reading comprehension as the research showing the correlation between vocabulary development and reading comprehension is high and wide. Voice and choice and authentic audience are also essential elements of the 21st century classroom, especially when it comes to text and topic selection for reading, writing and research. Ditch the worksheets & test prep programs to teach reading skills and strategies, grammar and conventions, and use high quality literature with rich language and illustrations instead.
Agenda - Live Stream via Zoom, 8:30am-3:30pm EST
7:45-8:30 - Registration, Coffee, Donuts & Creamer Bar
8:30-10:00 - Session 1: Strategies for Vocabulary Development & Oral Language
10:00-10:15 - Break, Photobooth, Merch Shop
10:15-11:15 - Session 2: Literature Based Literacy Instruction: Reading Comprehension Skills & Strategies from Picture Books
11:15-11:20 - Silent Gallery Walk - Picture Book Teaching Points, Vocabulary & Mentor Sentence
11:20-12:00 - How to Write a Reading Minilesson & Simulation: Be My Student for A Reading Strategy Minilesson + Debriefing
12:00-12:45 - Lunch
12:45-3:30 - Be a Guided Reading Guru! Learn the 8 Components of a Successful Guided Reading Session
Download this information as a PDF....>>> HERE <<<.
Jen speaks on these topics and more, to schools and districts all over the country. She is highly sought-after and teachers in her workshops have said “this was the best professional development we’ve ever had.”
Conference Fee: $200 Standard Registration, $150 Early Bird registration ends January 1st, 2020
Conference registration includes:
- Cool Hello Literacy Merch
- Conference Materials & free digital files aligned to conference lessons & activities
- Certificate of Completion for 10 Continuing Education Credits
Conference Supplies to Bring:
- A fiction picture book with vivid images and illustrations
- The Invisible Boy, if you have it
- One book from a GR text set
- Sticky notes, teacher pens, highlighters
- Portable White Board, white board pen & eraser/sock, math counters
There are 4 ways to pay for this conference:
1. Pay via Paypal, credit card or debit card at checkout (access credit card and debit card payment option by selecting Paypal button).
2. Pay with a school purchase order. If your school is paying for your registration, select "Pay Offline" and follow the directions so Hello Literacy can email you an invoice. **
3. Pay via a grant through Donors Choose Professional Development. Write the grant and Donors Choose will pay Hello Literacy on your behalf.
4. Pay with a personal check by selecting "Pay Offline" and follow the directions so Hello Literacy can email you an invoice. All school, district or personal checks must be paid within 30 days of registering with an offline payment, unless it's within 30 days of the conference and then it's due before the conference or on the day of the conference. **
** You will not receive the literacy resources or Certificate of Completion until we have received proof of Purchase Order or payment. If after the conference concludes and proof of purchase order or payment is received, these digital items will be emailed to you.
If you have any questions about payment, purchase orders, or invoices, please ask at email@example.com. NO REFUNDS will be issued within 30 days prior to the event regardless of whether you paid, your district paid or Donors Choose paid.
If you are interested in having Jen bring HelloLitCon to your school or literacy professional development tailored to your school's needs, please send her at email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Her general PD information packet is HERE.
- Live Stream Ticket$200$2000$0