Sat, Mar 14|
QT Gold Coast
HelloLitCon Gold Coast, Australia
Join Jen for an afternoon in the Gold Coast! Throughout the afternoon, Jen will present a variety of low prep/high yield literacy strategies that are simple and free to implement with the Australian curriculum! This PD is appropriate for Kindergarten to Year 6 Teachers.
Time & Location
Mar 14, 2020, 12:30 PM – 6:00 PM CDT
QT Gold Coast, QT Gold Coast, 7 Staghorn Ave, Gold Coast QLD 4217, Australia
About The Event
Preparing students for the 21st century means preparing students for their future. At a minimum, we must prepare students to be critical thinkers, using academic structures of cooperation, collaboration and communication, so students have the maximum amount of practice, success & failure opportunities to become problem-solvers, strategic and proficient readers and writers and independent and confident students/adults. Throughout the afternoon, Jen will present a variety of low-prep/high yield instructional strategies that are simple and free to implement, but require a higher level of instructional accountability than most teachers and students are accustomed to.
An overview of the most important reading standards will be presented, as well as more student-centered ownership of strategies for reading engagement and reading achievement. Use the most effective strategies for reading comprehension and question/answer relationships for the highest level of student engagement and immediate feedback. Voice and choice and authentic audience are also essential elements of the 21st century classroom, especially when it comes to text and topic selection for reading, writing and research.
Schedule for the Afternoon - Brisbane, Australia (Location TBD) 12:30pm-6:00pm
12:15-12:30 - Registration
12:30-1:45 - Session #1: Low Prep/High Yield Literacy Strategies
1:45-2:00 - Break
2:00-3:30 - Session #2: Literature Based Literacy Instruction
3:30-3:45 - Break
3:45-6:00 Session #3: Guided Reading with Urgency
Jen speaks on these topics and more, to schools and districts all over the US, Canada & Queens Beach State School in Queensland, AUS. She is highly sought-after and teachers in her workshops have said “this was the best professional development we’ve ever had.”
Conference Fee: $150 Standard Registration
Conference registration includes:
- One piece of Hello Literacy Merch
- Conference Materials & free digital files aligned to conference lessons & activities
- Certificate of Completion
Conference Supplies to Bring:
- One vivid fiction picture book (or a few)...make sure your name is on these
- One book from a Guided Reading set (leave the other five books at home)
- One Reading Unit of Study
- Sticky notes, teacher pens, highlighters
- BYOD: iPad, Chromebook or Smart Phone
**Hotel Accommodations: There is a special discounted hotel room rate & discounted morning buffet (which is delicious, I've had it) at the hotel. Here are the room types and rates (per room per night):
- Mountain River View: $199 room only, $224 with breakfast for 1, $249 with breakfast for 2
- Ocean View: $229 room only, $254 with breakfast for 1, $279 with breakfast for 2
- QT King Suite: $329 room only, $354 with breakfast for 1, $379 with breakfast for 2.
To book a room, you'll want to call or email the QT hotel and mention that you are attending the HelloLitCon event on March 14, 2020.
There are 3 ways to pay for this conference:
- Pay via Paypal, credit card or debit card at checkout (access credit card and debit card payment option by selecting Paypal button).
- 2. Pay via a grant through Donors Choose Professional Development. Write the grant and Donors Choose will pay Hello Literacy on your behalf.
- Pay with a personal check by selecting "Pay Offline" and follow the directions so Hello Literacy can email you an invoice. All school, district or personal checks must be paid within 30 days of registering with an offline payment, unless it's within 30 days of the conference and then it's due before the conference or on the day of the conference.
*If you are purchasing more than 1 ticket in one transaction, please send an email to email@example.com and let her know the names and email addresses for all the teachers you are registering because there is no space to denote that when you purchase the tickets, especially if you, the tickets purchaser, are not attending and all we have is your name and email address. -Thanks!
If you have any questions about payment, purchase orders, or invoices, please ask at firstname.lastname@example.org. NO REFUNDS will be issued within 30 days prior to the event.
If you are interested in having Jen bring HelloLitCon to your school or literacy professional development tailored to your school's needs, please send her at email at email@example.com. Her general PD information packet is HERE.