HelloLitCon Raleigh, NC
Time & Location
About The Event
Preparing students for the 21st century means preparing students for their future. At a minimum, we must prepare students to be critical thinkers, using academic structures of cooperation, collaboration and communication, so students have the maximum amount of practice, success & failure opportunities to become problem-solvers, strategic and proficient readers and writers and independent and confident students/adults. Throughout the day, Jen will present a variety of low-prep/high yield instructional strategies that are simple and free to implement, but require a higher level of instructional accountability than most teachers and students are accustomed to.
An overview of the most important reading standards will be presented, as well as more student-centered ownership of strategies for reading engagement and reading achievement. Use the most effective strategies for reading comprehension and question/answer relationships for the highest level of student engagement and immediate feedback. Voice and choice and authentic audience are also essential elements of the 21st century classroom, especially when it comes to text and topic selection for reading, writing and research.
Schedule for the Day 1 - Raleigh Convention Center 9:00am-4:00pm
8:30-10:00 - Session #1: Rock Your Literacy Block: Best of the Best Low-Prep, High Yield Strategies
10:00-10:15 - Break
10:15-11:45 - Session #2: Reading Comprehension in a Visual World: Observing, Inferring & Analyzing is Visual Literacy
11:45-12:45 - Lunch* (bring a bag lunch to eat outside or lunch on your own downtown - casual Q&A from 12:15-12:45)
12:45-2:15 - Session #3: Reading Workshop Simulation: Be My Student for a Minilesson, Independent Reading & Reading Conferences, Workshop Debriefing
2:30-4:00 - Session #4: Essential Qualities & Mindsets of a 21st Century Teacher
Schedule for Day 2 - Raleigh Convention Center 9:00am-3:00pm
8:30-10:00 - Session #1: Reading Engagement is Contagious: Build a Positive Reading Culture in Your Classroom/School
10:00-10:15 - Break
10:15-11:45 - Session #2 Out of This World Digital Literacy: Paperless Ways to Read & Respond (bring an iPad, Chromebook or laptop if you have one)
11:45-12:45 - Lunch* (bring a bag lunch or lunch on your own - casual Q&A from 12:15-12:45)
12:45-3:00 - Session #3: Be a Guided Reading Guru: Text Selection, Picture Walks, Coaching on the Run, Oral Comprehension, Word Work, Guided Writing
Jen speaks on these topics and more, to schools and districts all over the country. She is highly sought-after and teachers in her workshops have said “this was the best professional development we’ve ever had.”
Conference registration includes:
- Cool Hello Literacy Merch
- Conference Materials & free digital files aligned to conference lessons & activities
- Certificate of Completion for 20 CEU hours
Conference Supplies to Bring:
- A vivid fiction picture book
- A read-aloud fiction chapter book
- Sticky notes, teacher pens, highlighters
- Portable White Board, white board pen & eraser/sock, math counters
- BYOD: iPad, Chromebook or Smart Phone
If you register for this conference and announce it at your staff meeting, you'll be entered into a drawing for Hue Document Camera.
*The Raleigh Convention Center does not allow outside food inside the convention center, so if you bring a lunch from home, you'll have to eat it outside OR there are over 25 local restaurants within 3 block of the Convention Center. Restaurant map HERE. There is a parking garage right across the street, and daily parking is $6. If you need accommodations, there are several hotels within blocks of the convention center, and lots of option on AirBnB.
There are 4 ways to pay for this conference:
- Pay via Paypal, credit card or debit card at checkout (access credit card and debit card payment option by selecting Paypal button).
2. Pay with a school purchase order. If your school is paying for your registration, select "Pay Offline" and follow the directions so Hello Literacy can email you an invoice.
3. Pay via a grant through Donors Choose Professional Development. Write the grant and Donors Choose will pay Hello Literacy on your behalf.
4. Pay with a personal check by selecting "Pay Offline" and follow the directions so Hello Literacy can email you an invoice. All school, district or personal checks must be paid within 30 days of registering with an offline payment, unless it's within 30 days of the conference and then it's due before the conference or on the day of the conference.
If you have any questions about payment, purchase orders, or invoices, please ask at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are interested in having Jen bring HelloLitCon to your school or literacy professional development tailored to your school's needs, please send her at email at email@example.com. Her general PD information packet is HERE.
- Standard Registration - NC$300$3000$0