Sat, Aug 25|
El Camino Creek Elementary School
HelloLitCon San Diego, CA
Join Jen Jones a stand out PD event in her home state, California! Throughout the day, Jen will present a variety of low prep/high yield strategies that are simple and free to implement in your school immediately! This PD is appropriate for K-8 teachers, coaches and principals.
Time & Location
Aug 25, 2018, 8:30 AM – 3:30 PM
El Camino Creek Elementary School, 7885 Paseo Aliso, Carlsbad, CA 92009, USA
About The Event
Preparing students for the 21st century means preparing students for their future. At a minimum, we must prepare students to be critical thinkers, using academic structures of cooperation, collaboration and communication, so students have the maximum amount of practice, success & failure opportunities to become problem-solvers, strategic and proficient readers and writers and independent and confident students/adults. Throughout the day, Jen will present a variety of low-prep/high yield instructional strategies that are simple and free to implement, but require a higher level of instructional accountability than most teachers and students are accustomed to.
An overview of the most important reading standards will be presented, as well as more student-centered ownership of strategies for reading engagement and reading achievement. Use the most effective strategies for reading comprehension and question/answer relationships for the highest level of student engagement and immediate feedback. Voice and choice and authentic audience are also essential elements of the 21st century classroom, especially when it comes to text and topic selection for reading, writing and research.
Schedule for the Day - El Camino Creek Elementary School, Encinitas Unified School District
8:30-10:00 - Session #1: Rock Your Literacy Block: Best Low-Prep, High Yield Strategies for Any Classroom using Any Curriculum
10:00-10:15 - Break
10:15-11:45 - Session #2: Reading Engagement is Contagious: Build a Positive Reading Culture in Your Class or School
11:45-12:15 - Lunch
12:15-1:45 - Session #3: Reading Workshop Simulation: Be My Student for a Minilesson, Independent Reading & Reading Conferences, Debriefing with Q&A
2:00-3:30 - Session #4: Nuts & Bolts of a Guided Reading Session: Text Selection, Picture Walks, Coaching on the Run, Oral Comprehension, Word Work, Guided Writing
Jen speaks on these topics and more, to schools and districts all over the country. She is highly sought-after and teachers in her workshops have said “this was the best professional development we’ve ever had.”
Conference registration includes:
- Donuts & Coffee/Creamer Bar (at the am break)
- Catered Lunch (a taco bar if it's up to me)
- Cool Hello Literacy Merch (lanyard, pen, 8.5x11 notepad, lunch tote)
- Conference Materials & free digital files aligned to conference lessons & activities
- Certificate of Completion for 10 CEU hours
Conference Supplies to Bring:
- A vivid fiction picture book
- A read-aloud fiction chapter book
- Sticky notes, teacher pens, highlighters
- Portable White Board, white board pen & eraser/sock, math counters
If you register for this conference and announce it at your staff meeting, you'll be entered into a drawing for Hue Document Camera.
There are 4 ways to pay for this conference:
- Pay via Paypal, credit card or debit card at checkout (access credit card and debit card payment option by selecting Paypal button).
2. Pay with a school purchase order. If your school is paying for your registration, select "Pay Offline" and follow the directions so Hello Literacy can email you an invoice.
3. Pay via a grant through Donors Choose Professional Development. Write the grant and Donors Choose will pay Hello Literacy on your behalf.
4. Pay with a personal check by selecting "Pay Offline" and follow the directions so Hello Literacy can email you an invoice. All school, district or personal checks must be paid within 30 days of registering with an offline payment.
If you have any questions about payment, purchase orders, or invoices, please ask at email@example.com.
If you are interested in having Jen bring HelloLitCon to your school or literacy professional development tailored to your school's needs, please send her at email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Her general PD information packet is HERE.
Standard Registration - CA
Standard Registration will close on August 24, 2018. Standard Registration includes: + 1 Day Conference Registration "1 Full Day of Literacy Goodness with Jen Jones" at Standard Price + Conference Tote, Conference Notes & Materials & Free Digital Product Files from my TpT aligned to the Conference Lessons & Activities + Personalized Nametag with Lanyard + Cool Hello Literacy Merch (lanyard, pens, luggage tag, HL notepad) + Certificate for 10 hrs. of Continuing Ed credit + Catered Lunch