Mon, Feb 15|
Phonics Focused Guided Reading PD with Jen Jones & Katie Garner
The Art & Science of Teaching Guided Reading with the Brain in Mind: Using Brain Science as a Roadmap to Fast-Track Phonics for Reading—NOT Guessing! A virtual PD by Jen Jones & Katie Garner!
Time & Location
Feb 15, 2021, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM EST
About The Event
Guided Reading presents an opportunity for beginning readers to engage with “real-world” text, exposing them to language that is broad, deep and enticing, is not always easily decodable.
Or is it?
Learn how to use small group time to help students become strong decoders instead of weak guessers AND make meaning! Using brain science as a road map, discover how to take advantage of “backdoor” learning systems to streamline instruction and accelerate early learner access to the phonics code. By aligning phonics skill concepts with “universal” experiences and understanding (i.e. having a crush, not getting along, getting hurt, being left out, doing what your mom or babysitter tells you, knowing where and when to be sneaky, etc...) we can leverage early learners’ social-emotional intelligence to fast-track skill mastery at the earliest grade levels. In this way, beginning and struggling readers are empowered with the tools they need to become fearless codebreakers—not just in guided reading, but across the entire instructional day!
Monday, February 15, 2020
10am-4pm EST via Zoom
10:00-10:10 Welcome, Introductions, Virtual Meeting Housekeeping
10:10-12:40: Using Brain Science to Fast-Track Phonics Skills for Reading
- Research on early (back to front) brain development and “backdoor” social-emotional learning pathways
- Strategies for aligning high-leverage phonics skill concepts to universal experiences & understanding
- Forging strong sound-symbol (speech to print) connections in the brain for reading and writing
- Transforming phonics instruction into a “playground” for critical thinking and deep literacy-learning
1:30-3:00 Text Analysis: Looking for Landmines to Guide Students to READ
- Texts for Guided Reading: Emergent Reader Books vs. Decodable Books
- The Decodable Truth about Most “Sight-Words”
- Prioritizing Phonics-Focused Teacher Moves during Individual Oral Reading
- Coaching Students to Read, Not Guess, at tricky words: turning “Landmines” into “Playgrounds”, a fun place to play with words and word parts to build positive experiences that brain remembers
3:00-4:00 - Running Record Refresh
- Shifting our mindset from DOING running records to USING running records
- Understanding M S V...and where our teaching focus should go after a running record ends
- Using running records as formative assessment and opportunities to have critical reading conversations with students
- Running record data doesn’t end when the running record is over...looping reading errors back into Shared Reading lessons
Conference registration includes:
- Simple and scalable digital strategies to implement in your classroom (remotely or in-person) immediately
- PDF handouts will emailed prior to the day that you will access & use during the day
- Free digital files and resources aligned to conference lessons & activities
- Certificate of Completion for 1 NC Digital Learning Competency credit or `10 hours of Continuing Education credit
- Access to recording of the session
- Access the the Chat Box transcript
$120 Ticket--no refunds or exchanges after Zoom password is released
Meeting ID and Zoom password will be released a few days before the event
Conference Supplies to Bring:
- BYOD: Laptop or Computer
- Picture book or two
- Phonics Curriculum (what every you use)
- Reading A-Z password (if you have an account)
- Epic! password (create a free account)
Ways to pay for this conference:
Pay via Paypal, credit card or debit card at checkout
If you have any questions about payment, purchase orders for groups of 10 or more, or invoices, please ask at email@example.com.
The last day to register is February 14, 2020.
No refunds will be issued after February 10, 2020.
Includes access to the live event as well as the recording. This ticket allows you access to the recording whether you attend the live PD or not.$120.00